Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Dim-sum @ Joyous Shanghai

I woke up with a start.  Hmmm...was I dreaming?  Did I make it up?  I thought I heard my stomach drumming.  To the tune of "悦上海, 悦上海..." I jumped out of my bed.  The joyous feeling written all over my being.  I knew just what I was going to have for breakfast.  Yes, dim-sum.  Dim-sum at Joyous Shanghai Restaurant.

The restaurant is on the 2nd Floor of Lok Thian Restaurant, Jalan Padungan.  Stepping in to the restaurant, you will be greeted by some Shanghai oldies.  The place certainly looks bright; the walls are adorned with Chinese paintings.  For those who like antiques, the rosewood furniture will be quite a feast for the eyes.  Such a nostalgic ambience!




The menu made me drool, and I settled for some of these yummilicious dim-sum:

Chee Cheong Fun with Prawns.  You don't think it is made from real pig intestines, do you?  :D  This is actually a thin roll made from rice flour, filled with fresh prawns.  Upon serving, soy sauce is poured over it.  Just one word:  Tasty!  But Joyous Shanghai's version would have been tastier if it were served with some sambal.  A dollop of sambal for every biteful will go a longgggg way.

Chee Cheong Fun - Prawns
Phoenix Talons (Chicken Feet).  Ordering chicken feet is a must for me whenever I go for any dim-sum outing. ;)  This is deep fried chicken feet which later is simmered with sweet sauce and black bean.  This dish was a little too sweet for my liking though.

Phoenix Talons (Chicken Feet)
Siew Mai.  The first time I sank my teeth into one of these, I thought it was rather bland.  But slowly, the flavor built up.  Just your ordinary siew mai this one.  Nothing extraordinary about it.

Siew Mai
Har Kow.  Look at the skin.  Thin and translucent.  Soft.  The texture makes you long for more.  The fillings, i.e. the prawns were fresh and not overcooked.  This is very good!

Har Kow
Szechuan Dumplings.  This dish tasted rather bland.  The chef was not very generous with the Szechuan pickled vegetables;  so little there were that I feel this dish shouldn't be called "Szechuan Dumplings".  More pickled vegetables and this dish will be perfect!

Szechuan Dumplings
Chee Cheong Fun with Char Siew.  Had the char siew been roasted long enough, this dish would be superb.  

Chee Cheong Fun - Char Siew
Char Siew Bun.  The skin was white and soft.  The filling was flavourful.  But my advice is to savour this last as it is very filling.

Char Siew Bun

Joyous Shanghai is one of the very few places in Kuching that serves dim-sum in a very delectable and palatable ambience.  For your next dim-sum adventure, you might want to try out this places.

1 comment:

jasonblue said...

Have not been there even opened for so long time. The environment look nice. Wanna tried it. How are the prices for the dim sum? Reasonable?