Wednesday, September 1, 2010

RJ Ayam Penyet Kopitiam

I saw this kopitiam countless times before I finally decided to try out what it has to offer, so on Merdeka Eve, my sister and I made our way here:
RJ Ayam Penyet Kopitiam
The koptiam is situated at Satok, behind Kopi-O-Corner (opposite Bank Negara).

"Satu-satunya Resipi yang asli..Raja Ayam Penyet"...Hmm, this place claims it has the original recipe.  If my memory serves me right, there is a stall somewhere near the Masjid which carries the signboard 'Raja Ayam Penyet'.  Could it be the same one?  Well, I will find out.  One day.  Soon.

The menu
Before stepping across the threshold into this kopitiam, one might think Ayam Penyet is the signature dish, but on the front page of the menu, Ayam Bakar seems to hint to us that it is the specialty there instead of Ayam Penyet.  Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I searched for the picture of Ayam Penyet to see if it is worth ordering.  Yes, yes, I know, looks can be deceiving, but I guess it's human nature that first impression counts.  Ayam  Penyet is in the menu alright, but it sits at the bottom corner of the menu.  Oh, nevermind the menu.  Let's savour part of what RJ Ayam Penyet has to offer.
  
Lemon rose syrup
This lemon rose syrup is very refreshing.  Yours truly who ordered teh-o-peng (too ordinary that it wasn't immortalised in photo)  took a sip, and was momentarily transported to seventh heaven.

Nasi Ayam Penyet Biasa
Looks good, eh?  To me, it is nothing to shout about.  I have tasted better Nasi Ayam Penyet.  This set comes with ulam-ulaman and sambal.  This place also offers Nasi Ayam Penyet Special; tempe and fried beancurd are what exalted their status from 'biasa' to 'special'.

Set Nasi Ayam Bakar
I bet you know what this is even if there is no caption.  The chicken was over grilled but still juicy on the inside.  This set comes with some ulam-ulaman, sambal, tempe and fried beancurd.  In my opinion, tempe is pretty much an acquired taste, something I'm not a fan of (to my sister's delight, that is).  

Sup Daging
Banana Cheese
A feast after a day of fasting
Regular customers must have called and placed their orders for we managed to catch a glimpse of food... oh glorious food spread out on tables waiting to be savoured.  Some Muslims were already seated at the tables waiting to break fast.  Being the shutterbug I am, I just couldn't resist taking a few shots.

For those of you who haven't been to RJ Ayam Penyet, you might want to give it a try.  Only then will you be able to tell whether the ayam penyet it serves is as good as what you've heard.  And whether this place is where you want to be.

No comments: